Buy a Home
Home Ownership with BHC
See all of our home listings
Owning a home is part of the American dream, but often it is beyond the reach of many working families in the Greater Richmond area. Better Housing Coalition is committed to providing opportunities to individuals and families for purchasing their first home – one that is not only affordable but also attractive and built to last a lifetime.
We Build Green
Every BHC home, whether new or restored, is designed with classic architectural details, quality construction, modern amenities, and charming exterior and interior details. Better Housing Coalition is a leader in green building, constructing homes that are energy efficient, low maintenance and affordable. Each home is built to Earthcraft™ standards, which serves as a blueprint for healthy, comfortable homes. Earthcraft™ homes reduce utility bills and protect the environment by featuring quality insulation and air-sealing, sustainable building products, recycled materials, Energy Star™ appliances, energy efficient heat pumps and a separate fresh air ventilating system which contributes to healthy indoor air quality. BHC homes are built with cement board siding that has a 50 year guarantee.
We Can Help You
Our high quality homes are generally available to first time homebuyers with low to moderate incomes. Excellent financing packages can help make monthly mortgage payments more reasonable than monthly rents. Through various municipal and private organizations, down payments and closing cost grants are available to qualified buyers.
BHC has many affordable options in a variety of neighborhoods in the Richmond region. Let us help you find a home you can afford. For more information, please contact Tiffany Person at 644-0546 x 111.
- “Finding a home like this with everything on our wish list has blown our minds. We’re excited to grow into our home and raise our children here. Better Housing Coalition lives up to its name.”
- “I want to give you many many thanks for your help and work during my home buying process! Your team has done amazing work and I am so very proud of my home!”
- “I like the layout. It’s real nice. I also like the fact that it’s not too far from my job. With high gas prices, I can ride my bike to work.”
- “My neighbors have been so open and gracious. I could not have landed in a better house, on a better street, in a better neighborhood than this.”
- See what John and Sherry Petersik have to say about BHC homes on their hit blog “Young House Love.”
Where We Build and Renovate Homes
- Church Hill – BHC has constructed and rehabilitated more than 100 single-family homes in Church Hill since first beginning work in the neighborhood nearly 20 years ago. Located in the east end of Richmond, Church Hill is one of Richmond’s most historic neighborhoods. Recent years have seen an influx of new businesses, from restaurants and coffee shops to bicycle stores and professional offices. Church Hill also boasts a dog park and is the home of one of the earliest and most successful community gardens in the city.
- Blackwell – Oak Summit at Goose Creek is a development of 40 eco-friendly, affordable single-family homes in Blackwell. In partnership with RRHA, BHC constructed these homes within the existing grid of city blocks with new and improved utilities, alleys, sidewalks and mature trees. BHC is now constructing 40 more single-family homes in Blackwell. Blackwell Elementary School, the newly revitalized retail spaces of Hull Street and the new Courthouse are within walking distance from the neighborhood, and downtown Richmond is within a 5-minute drive. Interstate 95 is easily accessible.
- North Side – BHC is developing new single-family homes in the already established Rose Corridor urban subdivision in the historic Barton Heights neighborhood of North Richmond.