Who We Are
Better Housing Coalition Young Professionals (BHCyp) is a group of enthusiastic young professionals from the Greater-Richmond area who are passionate about housing affordability and will advocate for BHC’s mission. With a focus on diversity, they come from a variety of backgrounds, such as social work, urban planning, healthcare, law, finance and real estate.
BHCyp members meet monthly and engage in service projects, networking opportunities and fundraising events that help further BHC’s mission. They’re active in social media, in their communities, and in their professions. This is a Board for the ‘doers’ in our community.
BHCyp aims to prepare members for non-profit board service by providing opportunities for professional development, networking with BHC Board of Directors, and influencing positive change in our community through advocacy and service.
BHCyp Mission Statement
The mission of BHCyp is to build community awareness of and provide support to the Better Housing Coalition, enhancing its ability to change lives and transform communities through high-quality, affordable housing in the Greater Richmond region.
“I know so much more about affordable housing and feel so much more connected to this work via my board membership… I am proud to be connected with this organization and the amazing mission it seeks to achieve.” – Chisholm Carruthers, BHCyp Member
BHCyp members join on a yearly basis. Applications for the following calendar year will be available starting in October. There is no age limit, but members typically range from 22-39 years of age. General members should expect to dedicate 2-6 hours per month to BHCyp activities. Those opting into leadership within the organization should expect a larger time commitment.
BHCyp Member Expectations
- Come prepared and attend a minimum of 6 meetings annually; BHCyp meets monthly, typically at 6PM during the third week of the month
- Attend orientation scheduled for 1.16.24 at 6PM –New members only
- BHCyp does not have membership dues, but each Board member is expected to provide monetary support to BHC according to their ability and circumstances
- Assist in planning BHCyp signature events including the Church Hill Bike Tour in the spring and Gingerbread House Challenge in the fall
- Leverage your network to meet fundraising and friend-raising goals
- Join a BHCyp working group (events, advocacy, membership) to plan and advance initiatives both during and outside of regular meetings
We are so glad you are interested in joining our amazing group of young professional advocates! Applications for the 2024 BHCyp Board are now closed. Individuals interested in joining in 2025 – stay tuned for more information later in the year.
2024 BHCyp Board
Molly Armus, Vice Chair
Friends of the Earth
Jordan Tawney, Secretary
Erin Phelan, Community Outreach
Fluor Enterprises Inc.
Kyle Hogan, Member Enrichment
Katie Moore, Events Chair
Next Up RVA
Lee Jones, Immediate Past Chair
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Shade & Wise Brick Company
Censeo Consulting Group
Virginia Housing Alliance
Partnership for Housing Affordability
Brian Williams, II
Follow us on Facebook for updates!