Volunteers make a big difference in the lives of our residents.
We welcome your time and talents in helping us revitalize communities in the Greater Richmond region. Better Housing Coalition has partnered with HandsOn Greater Richmond to provide individual and group volunteer opportunities ranging from property beautification to administrative assistance. For more information, please contact Sarah Fernald at 804-644-0546 x118.
Spread Holiday Cheer with Hats, Gloves and Greetings for Low-Income Families & Seniors!
Better Housing Coalition (BHC) is the largest nonprofit affordable housing provider in the Richmond region, housing over 2,500 residents of modest means. We are prepping for winter festivities, and while our normal holiday bash in the Community Center isn’t occurring due to COVID restrictions, we won’t let the season go uncelebrated! We are looking for volunteers – groups or individuals – to donate NEW hats and gloves to distribute to our families and seniors. Plus! Send holiday greeting cards/drawings/letters with encouraging notes to bring some additional brightness and warmth to residents this season. The holidays are a time of joy, but for families and seniors living on a tight budget, the season can also bring additional stress. For residents of our Northside communities, the average annual household income is just under $25K, so your contributions mean a great deal to our residents.
Who should participate: Groups and individuals looking for a remote activity and/or a way to support brighten the holiday season for neighbors in your community.
How it works: Volunteers express interest in this volunteer event through Hands On Greater Richmond or email Sarah Fernald, Director of Community Engagement, directly. Then, volunteers can choose to donate supplies only, cards only, or a combination of the two.
- Hats & Gloves: We have a goal of collecting hats and gloves for 50 youth 80 adults. Items should be NEW, and gender-neutral items are preferred. Would you like to host a drive at your office, place of worship, scout meeting, etc.? Express interest and we can send you printable signage and templates to help spread the word.
- Holiday Cards: Volunteers will create or buy a holiday card and inscribe with an encouraging note or drawing. Volunteers should understand that this is a one-way communication and that residents will not write back, but volunteers can be assured that residents’ days will be brighter as a result of this long distance gesture of care.
For both cards and supplies, the final date to drop off donations is Tuesday, December 7th. Donations can be dropped off at Better Housing Coalition’s HQ at 23 W Broad St. by making an appointment with volunteer coordinator or during the following collection days:
- Friday, December 3rd 9AM-5PM
- Tuesday, December 7th 9AM-5PM
Ready to help out? Just follow these steps.
- Express interest in this volunteer activity
- Procure your donations: hats and gloves and/or holiday greetings
- Schedule a drop off of your donations with BHC’s Director of Community Engagement (last day to drop off is 12/7/21)
- Feel great that you provided some warmth to others this holiday season!
If you have questions, please email Sarah Fernald, Director of Community Engagement.
Learn about future volunteer opportunities:
Be a Social Media Ambassador
Calling all social media enthusiasts! You can use your networking powers for good, and spread the word about what BHC is doing in your community. Help raise awareness for community needs and our plans to enhance them by becoming one of our social MVP’s! BHC Social Media Ambassadors sign up to receive breaking news alerts with content and templates for sharing it on their platforms. Ready to get started?